Thursday, April 22, 2010

Round 1 Thoughts

That was an exciting first round, though having 5 different people commenting is a bit ridiculous. Lets sum up the action in my own words...


I think Gruden liked Tebow.....a lot.

Mel Kiper: Jimmy Clausen really is a top 5 talent, just like Boomer Esiason was when Cincy drafted him in 1984.

Jon Gruden: Tim Tebow should be the top player taken based on intangibles.

Steve Young: San Francisco is commited to Alex Smith. Two offensive lineman? They want him to succeed.

Tom Jackson: I don't know what to make of Tim Tebow. To win in the NFL, you have to comlete passes.

Chris Berman: A trade? I didn't see that coming.

Mel Kiper: Clausen is really good, he really is.

Jon Gruden: I got fired, but I have a good sense of humor. As a former coach, I can tell you that Tim Tebow will be a great pro.

Steve Young: I want to talk over everyone because I am at the center of the table.

Tom Jackson: I still have no definitive opinion.

Chris Berman: I used to be the main draft expert, now I am almost off the screen.

Mel Kiper: CLAUSEN! WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN TO ME!

Jon Gruden: Tim Tebow. Me like Tim Tebow. Tebow....Tebow.

That was a very long example of how dumb and circular the most football dialogues are, especially when networks try to jam WAY too many big names on the screen at one time. You end up with the stalwarts (Jackson,Berman and Kiper) being shoved to the side while the younger Gruden and Young fought for the last word. I literally heard Steve Young say a last second prediction of the pick while the commissioner was walking to the podium 5 different times. He couldn't help himself.

1st Round Thoughts

-The 49ers had a great 1st round. I am a dedicated believer that the offensive line is the most important unit on a football team. By adding a borderline pro bowl talent RT in Davis and the extremely promising utility OL Iupati to a line featuring last year's 1st round pick LT Joe Staley, this team should be able to start playing the power running football that coach Singletary loves. This can only help Alex Smith try and revive an underwhelming career as teams might actually be forced to put 8 defenders in the box to stop Gore/Coffee.

-Mike Brown hates his own team. With their first round pick, Cincinnati picks Jermaine Greshman out of Oklahoma. He must have had an amazing 2009 right? No, he was out all year with an injury. This pick violated 2 seemingly simple draft rules: Never draft a TE in the first round unless he is guaranteed to be among the top 4-5 TE in the league and NEVER draft a player who didn't play the year before. This pick was not criticized by all the talking heads but I hate it. Why not pick up more defensive help (Mays S USC, DE/OLB Hughes etc etc) and grab a TE like Pitta in the 3rd or 4th round? Awful. This is why being a Bengals fan sucks the fun out of the NFL.


The closest Jermaine got to the field in 2009.


- The overall production of the show was horrible. Not only did I see multiple Eagles' fans flipping everyone off on air, I heard comments/actions from analysts Gruden and Jackson that were obviously not meant to be on the air. The first day of the draft is meant to be a circus, but did it really need to only be 1 round just to drag it into a 3 day event? 1 round? 1? Also, how about you show the player who is about to be drafted on the phone and wearing a team's hat 3 minutes before the pick is announced? That isn't anti-climatic.Very disappointing presentation.

-The only positive aspect of the presentation was the deployment of the sideline reporters to interview prospects. The questions are always pointless and often times redundant. The race for "best" interview was a tie between 1)Sam Bradford getting asked to describe his feelings immediately after he stated that he was "feeling nervous" and 2) Jimmy Clausen, a pool and Erin Andrews all being in close proximity in the one interview that you had a feeling could continue off camera and result in Andrew's resignation and Clausen publicly condoning his own actions.


Erin Andrews as seen through a legit camera.


2nd Round predictions

-The Browns will draft Colt McCoy if possible. He is accurate (70% or so completion percentage last year), confident, successful (45-7 all time, an NCAA record) and relatively mobile. He is Jake Plummer with a baby face. Mike Holgrem's only struggle will be with drafting a QB prior to the 5th round. Look it up, he loves late round QBs.

-The Chiefs will draft Clausen if possible. The Weis/Clausen connection is too perfect. I am rooting for this, the humor of the duo going from the storied Notre Dame to the mess in KC is epic.

 -Pittsburg will draft Tony Pike or Levi Brown, spurning dozens of Big Ben trade rumors. This probably really won't happen but I wish it would. If any team would kick a 28-yeard old, 2 time super bowl winning QB to the curb due to extremely stupid off-field behavior, the Steelers would. No matter how much I dislike the team, I have to respect them.


This dude wins super bowls?


Finally, my Bengals will somehow end up drafting Terrence Cody out of Oklahoma. Just look at the picture to see if you can figure out why that would be a bad idea....

Future Bengal

No matter what flaws I find in the programming decisions, I still love the draft and will watch as much of it as I can. The only thing that could get me to turn it off would be another stupid Bengal's decision (see paragraph above). So if anyone wants to tell me what happens after the Bengal's 2nd round pick, be my guest....

Happy Drafting!

No comments: