Thursday, April 22, 2010

NFL Draft 2010

Tonight marks the start of one of the most beautiful nights of any calendar year...the NFL draft. While I enjoy the NFL as a league, it is far below my love of College Football (Utah Utes!). My joy of watching the NFL draft is not found in the hope that my team (Cincy Bengals) get better, because they won't, but in watching players i am familiar with get drafted. In many strange male ways, it is like watching a child's graduation and progression.

Here are the players I am most interested in with my guess as to where they end up:

Zane Beadles OG (Pittsburg)
David Reed WR (Tampa Bay)
Koa Misi LB (Miami)
Dennis Pitta (Cincy)
Max Hall (Utah Blaze, I strongly dislike him)

Ever year, I attempt to identify players that I think will be extremely overrated and players who I think will turn out to be very good professionals. Here are a few of my guesses.

Overrated
Sam Bradford- With his injury history and lack of experience in a pro offense, Bradford will be in over his head as the likely 1st pick of the St Louis Rams. The pressure to start him immediately will be too much and he will find himself on the field much sooner than he should. His only hope is to be drafted by a team that can afford to sit him for 2 years under a veteran QB (Washington).

CJ Spiller - I really like him as a player, but his ceiling as a professional is similar to Reggie Bush. That isn't a bad player at all, but not a player worthy of a likely top 10-15 pick.

Bruce Campbell - This one is hardly a reach, but this workout monster looks the part while not performing like it. Someone will fall in love with his measurables and overdraft for him (Oakland anybody??) and be disappointed when he ends up a league average RT.

Underrated
Jerry Hughes- My only real caution with this is that he needs to go into the right system. If he goes into Miami or a similar system, he is capable of being an immediate contributor with double digit sacks.

Mike Iupati- This is a tough call because his name has been rising on most draft boards. I never understood why OG are constantly undervalued. I realize OG is not as valuable as OT, but a pro bowl guard is more valuable than a league average left tackle. Add to the fact that he has the flexibility to possibly be a league average tackle or better and he could be a steal.

That are just some random musings. I will try to update this after the first round. Since nobody is ready this anyway, I don't think it will be a problem.

No comments: